Discolor Online

Weblog of the sweetest person you never want to piss off.



Well, the sensible advice of my friends (and my husband) has sealed it.

I can't make the drive to get Kate tomorrow so it will be Wednesday at the earliest. I've written to Kate's teachers to get her homework sent so I can forward it to Mark. Luckily, he's able to work at home part of the time so Kate won't be just sitting around alone at his house for days on end.

It's just two weeks shy of the anniversary of Windpocalypse '06 so I still feel like I don't have anything to complain about compared to that. Here's hoping the weather calms down and behaves (and doesn't ruin Kate's birthday again this year).



Floods and Uncertainty


I didn't pick Kate up yesterday because Mark was concerned about the snowy-icy weather where he's at. We're scheduled to exchange tonight up at the usual spot, which is in Skagit county just across the Skagit river... which is currently under flood warning. (It's predicted to peak tomorrow night.) There is also a wind advisory *and* a landslide warning for the same area.

Amtrak has already ceased running trains between Vancouver and Eugene because of mudslides and people on the peninsula have been killed by falling trees.

I can't decide if I'm being a ridiculous wuss for considering not making the drive and waiting until Wednesday when everything calms down. Aside from our gutters overflowing things have been just fine up here on Beacon Hill but I haven't ventured outside at all today and it could be that things are different out at the bottom of the hill or up north of Everett.

Ever since getting caught in the snowstorm on the freeway last year (where things were fine down here and a complete mess up there) I've been more wary about traveling during adverse weather conditions.

Do I stay or do I go? I can't decide. Gah.




I did a pretty good job of keeping the house cool yesterday during the first day of our predicted heat advisory (temps are 20-25 degrees above normal). I opened all the windows early in the morning, turned on all the house fans, got a nice breeze coming through, then lowered the shades in the afternoon to keep the sun out. It was downright pleasant in the house until about 5:30 when I left to meet Pramas at a nice, air-conditioned movie. It helped a great deal that there was a breeze most of the day to keep the air circulating.

Today, not so much. It was hot already when we went out for our morning walk and even though I had the windows opened again today, there's no breeze to speak of and the air feels stagnant and hot. I'm having a hard time concentrating on work as I keep wanting to get up and get myself a cool drink or a frozen snack or just stick my head in the freezer for a minute. I thought ahead and made a batch of Marinated Cauliflower Salad and Sesame Noodles with Shredded Chicken in anticipation of this weather before it actually got hot, so I have plenty of deliciously cool entrees to get me through. It would be a good afternoon for some margaritas if it wasn't a work day. So far the bunnies seem to be handling the heat okay but I'm keeping an eye on them because rabbits are all delicate when it comes to hot weather and getting overheated can flat out kill them.

To take the edge off last night Pramas and I went to see I Love Trouble, which he's already posted about. Yay for air-conditioned comfort. I could go for another round of air conditioning tonight but I'll have to check the budget before we get too crazy. We're already going to Orcas Island this weekend and I don't want to blow all my fun money before we even get there!