INDONESIAN BEEF CURRY AND COCONUT RICE
From Cooking Light, May 2007.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds lean top round, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Indonesian Beef Curry And Coconut Rice @ Group Recipes
- To prepare curry, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Place half of the beef in skillet; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned. Remove the beef from pan. Keep warm. Repeat process with the remaining beef.
- Lower heat to medium; add oil to pan. Add shallots, ginger, garlic, and chiles; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in coriander, salt, cumin, cloves, pepper, cardamom, and cinnamon; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Return beef to pan. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Discard cinnamon stick; stir in juice.
- To prepare rice, bring 1 1/4 cups water and remaining ingredients to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Return to recipe index
Return to Nikchick.com